Zoodle is a new slang for a yummy recipe which is winning hearts for its amazing taste and the health benefits. Yet there are many people which question “what are zoodles”? How do you make zoodles? From where can you buy zoodles?
This article is everything which you need to know on zoodles, the new age noodles. If you have also ever wondered what zoodles are what is the benefit to eat them, let us tell you that they are the incredibly healthy option for an amazing food recipe.
Again, what exactly are zoodles?
What comes to your mind when you say zoodles? Make it slow and speak Zoo-dle? Sounds like noodles, no? Yes, in fact, zoodles is a type of noodles.
Now you will question that how come noodles can be healthy? Noodles are never a part of any diet recipe and all the nutritionists ask you to stay away from noodles anyways. But if you look closer, zoodles are the noodles which are made of zucchini. So,
Zoodle= Zucchini made noodles
Another name from which you can recognize a zoodles is courgette which is a type of spaghetti. Zoodles are a tasty recipe which looks and feels like eating noodles or pasta. But actually, it is no way near to pasta. Because it has no fattening ingredient in it.
Zoodles are a fresh and healthy way to get the taste and look of noodles or pasta. It is a fun way to make your own type of healthy foods at home. Not only for weight waters, all other people can also enjoy zoodles, especially children.
Nutritional value of Zucchini
For people which are not a fan of vegetables, it may require quite some points to get convinced on using this amazing alternate recipe. Here are a few nutritional facts which prove that zucchini is good for you.
Zucchini is a type of summer vegetable and it belongs to the family Cucurbitaceae. It has other members such as spaghetti squash, melon, cucumber etc. It has a large size and visible seeds. It grows out of the soil and has low starch in it. It also has low calories and carbohydrates in it.
In one cup of raw zucchini, you can find the following.
- Calories: 30-40
- Carbohydrates: 7 grams
- Proteins: 2 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Vitamin C: 3 mg
- Vitamin B6: 4mg
- Manganese: 3mg
- Riboflavin: 3mg
- Potassium: 514mg
- Folate: 57mg
- Vitamin K: 4mg
The color of zucchini is variable. It comes in the shades of light to dark green. Also, it may have small white spots on it. If you see an unusual type of zucchini at your grocery store, don’t worry as there is the possibility to have multiple types of it.
Zucchini is actually a hybrid vegetable. That is why you may see it in different colors. You can use any of these available options to make zoodles. However, the lighter shades of zucchini tend to have more water content than darkly shaded zucchini. You may find them extra soft and saggy after cutting into zoodles.
How to make zoodles?
Now you will be thinking that how can you make zoodles with zucchini? Well, there are two ways which you can try.
- One is to use a spiraliser machine which comes with a handle. For those which are into cooking knows that it is used to cut the food material into a ribbon-like structure. It has suction cups on it which helps it to stick to a base, i.e. kitchen counter. There are blades inside which cut the food (zucchini) into pasta-like strips. It also comes with a handle from which you can hold it and use it easily.
- The second method is to make zoodles by using a small hand machine. It is alternative to the spiraliser machine and is also inexpensive to buy. It is a mini-sized handheld spiraliser. It is also called a julienne cutter and you can find it any grocery store near your house.
It has blades like the spiraliser machine and you can manually hold zucchini in hand and run the cutter along the length of it. Its same like some of the kitchen tools which you use to peel potatoes may be.
Both these instruments are highly sharp and need extreme care while cutting zoodles. Especially for hand spiraliser, make sure that you don’t allow your kids to do this.
Benefits of Zoodles?
Not sure if zoodles have the right type of benefits? Following are only a few reasons to motivate you to eat zoodles instead of pasta or noodles.
- A healthy alternative to noodles and pasta.
- It adds up to the daily vegetable count of the diet.
- It tastes yummy.
- It is gluten-free.
- It has no grains in it.
- It doesn’t have wheat in it.
- It has no processed item in it like pasta.
- It has very low amount of carbohydrates in it.
- It is healthy.
- It provides all the nutrients.
- It is inexpensive.
- It is easy to make.
Here is a little comparison between pasta and zoodles which will tell you how many carbohydrates you will intake in case of both recipes.
Pasta Vs. zoodles
In one cup cooked pasta, you have
- Calories- 221
- Carbohydrates- 43g
In one cup cooked zoodles you have
- Calories- 25
- Carbohydrates- 4.6g
Do you still need a reason to switch to zucchini pasta?
What are the recipes of zoodles?
Not just one, there are so many options which you can do with the help of zoodles inside it. You can make all recipes which you otherwise make with noodles or pasta. However, for health benefits, always go for low carbohydrate recipes.
To make zoodles, wash and trim the ends of zucchini. Always use fresh zucchini for it. Place the zucchini in a spiraliser machine and carefully cut the ribbons of zucchini. If you are using a manual spiraliser, make sure that you cut along lengthwise.
Most of the spiraliser machines come with different blade sizes, you can select anyone on the basis of your personal choice. Once you cut zoodles, next is to cook them.
There are two ways to eat zoodles.
- One is to eat raw, like a salad.
- Second is to steam or lightly cook it.
You can use any recipe to make zucchini pasta or zucchini noodles. Just make sure that you don’t overcook it. Go for the right ingredients and don’t place it on direct heat. Here are a few recipes to help you.
Which ingredients to use in zoodles?
If you want a delicious healthy recipe, our idea is to use an all vegetable based recipe. The choice of ingredients depends upon your daily carbohydrate intake. It also depends on which season you are planning to make zoodles because many of the vegetables are seasonal.
To be more precise, if you are on a diet, select the ingredients which have low carbohydrate count. Some of the exemplary ingredients are as follows.
- Cucumbers, raw in salad
- carrots, raw or cooked
- Pumpkin, cooked
- Beetroot, raw in salads
- Broccoli, raw or cooked
- Summer squash
- Sweet potatoes
Cooking tips to make Zoodles
There are some general tips which you should consider while you are making zoodles. Some of them are as follows.
- Soak the extra water: Vegetables have a high water content. You might need to tap your zoodles on a paper towel to absorb the extra water. It doesn’t taste good especially when you are using it raw in salads. For cooked recipes, it is not as such a problem.
- Cook on low flame: Zucchini is a nutrient-rich food which has the high amount of water. If you are planning to cook it, make sure that you are watching it over. It takes less time to cook. Other vegetables i.e. butternut squash take a long time to cook but for zucchini, make sure that you watch the flame.
- Do not overcook: One problem with cooking zoodles is that they are very delicate. Two minutes more cooking and they will burn. That is why you need to watch out the cooking pot continuously so that you don’t burn it.