Thinning or loss of hair is completely heartbreaking for a woman. Watching one’s hair fall out in bunches and unable to control it is frustrating. Hair falls impacts a person’s complete outlook hence demeaning his/hers confidence.
Sometimes these hair falls out in handfuls and no product/treatment/remedy seems to work.Pregnancy does some crazy things to your body, stretch marks, aching joints, urinary incontinence and swollen feet are not just enough. Your hair shed more than your pet cat.
Hair loss during pregnancy is different and should not be fret over much because it is temporary. The main cause of falling hair during pregnancy is the imbalance of hormones.
Some women notice their hair fall in one trimester and regrow quickly in the next thicker and fuller than ever.Pregnancy drives the hormones crazy resulting in several ailment and allergic reactions so you just can never catch where and which kind of imbalance can occur.
Just take it as a price to pay for bringing your precious baby into this world. Birthing a baby is one of God’s miracles as well from a woman’s body. You can never defy nature so settles for the ups and downs it brings along in any form.
Causes of Hair Loss in Expectant and New Moms
- Surgical Procedures like childbirth from a Cesarean
- Recurrent High Fevers
- Raging Hormones (fluctuation in hormonal levels disrupt the hair growth cycle)
- Any Medications
- Variable ratio of the amount of Oestrogen
- Nutrient Deficiencies
- Rapid loss of weight
- Postpartum Depression
- Gestational Diabetes
- Genetic background also plays a role
- Hypothyroidism (declined production of thyroid hormone that affects metabolic and mental health resulting in weak hair and nails)
- PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome)
The good news is that you will retain all your hair after some time of pregnancy and delivery. Some women even tend to regrow more hair than lost. The basic reason behind this shedding of hair is vitamin and mineral deficiency that the women become insufficient of during pregnancy because they are not fulfilling the bodily needs of two.
Usually, the falling of hair is paused in the gestation period. A well functioning thyroid positively affects the metabolic rate of the body due to which body experiences proper digestion. So an underactive and under treated thyroid will also impact yours and baby’s health.
Avoid using harsh hair styling products/tools that are full of chemicals. Do not make tight hairstyles like tight woven braids or curly locks that require over brushing and puts added stress on hair strands leading to further damage and breakage.
Make sure to intake a well-balanced, healthy and nutritional diet full of all the essential nutrients a body requires. Foods containing antioxidants and flavonoids support strong hair growth.
- Try to opt for a mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Avoid dying your hair in the thinning phase.
- Make sure to massage the scalp to stimulate blood circulation.
- Do not over-brush your hair as it can cause further damage.
- Eat lots of leafy green vegetables and fruits to strengthen hair follicles and protect from damage.
- Apply homemade masks like egg and yogurt and conditioners like banana and honey paste.
- Apply essential oils like;
-Amla Oil for length
-Coconut Oil for health protection
-Olive Oil for strength
-Castor Oil for thickening
-Almond Oil for shine
Don’t worry if your hair falls rapidly during pregnancy than ever before. A woman goes through a lot of bodily and emotional changes that mess up the hormonal balance system giving birth to several phenomenon uncalled for. Just do not forget this is a temporary phase and you will be able to restore your scalp health.