Although the menstrual cycle of every woman varies, but a normal cycle repeats after every twenty one to twenty eight days. But the periods may arrive early or get delayed, because of health related issues including pregnancy, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) or other problems, or may stop because of menopause. But what if you have to go for a holiday or have a wedding coming up and you cannot afford to have it ruined because of menses without disruption the natural phenomenon?
If you are wondering where or not you can induce your periods earlier or delay them, then you should worry no more for we have the perfect solutions for you! Following the methods would give you control over the menstruation cycle so that you get to enjoy your major life events without any worries.
Home Remedies – Natural Cure
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has great healing properties, and has been widely used to cure an upset stomach as well as a emmenagogue.
- Cut out an Aloe Vera stem and take out fresh gel from it
- Mix this gel with 1 tablespoon of honey
- Consume this mixture every day before breakfast.
Turmeric has been used for ages for inducing and regulating menstruation. It also has relieving properties which makes it perfect for relieving period cramps.
- It can be added to your food as spice
- You may drink Turmeric Tea
- You may also mix a teaspoon full of turmeric power into a glass of water and add some honey and lemon to make a drinkable juice.
- Vitamin C
It is known to be one of the best solutions to induce menses as it increases the estrogen production. This estrogen upsurge builds up the uterine lining making the uterus contract and causing menstrual bleed.
- Vegetables and fruits rich in Vitamin C content can be ingested e.g. Green leafy vegetables; parsley, celery, papaya, pomegranate etc.
- Vitamin C is also available in the form of supplements but these must only be taken with proper prescribed dosage from the doctor.
Caution: Excess intake of Vitamin C may result in termination of pregnancy or even a miscarriage.
This can consumed in raw form or as juice every morning
Pomegranate juice as well as its seeds are great in triggering periods.
- Juice out pure pomegranate juice
- Consume this juice three times a day
- Use it for 10 to 15 days before your regular date.
- You can also mix sugar cane juice with it in 1:1 proportion and drink the mixture four, every day before your periods date.
In order to induce menses, this fruit is one of the most effective home remedies used. Because of an active ingredient known as ‘carotene’, raw papaya causes the uterus contractions, resulting in stimulation of estrogen formation, causing early period.
- Eat fresh ripe papaya in raw form or consume papaya juice (about 200ml)
- Take the above dose twice a day.
- Cranberry Juice
Rich in carotene content, carrot is consumed to cause periods.
It is rich in calcium content and can be consumed in regular diet
- Soy milk
For women who are have lactose intolerant or are vegans, soymilk serves well as a dairy milk replacement. It contains phytoestrogens that regulate the irregular menstrual cycles
One of the safest natural occurring vegetable that contains Vitamin C, which is widely used and recommended by doctors for periods.
- Take celery and blend it with a glass of water to make juice
- Drink this juice twice a day.
Flat and curly leafy Parsley is rich in ‘apiol’ and ‘myristicin’ agents that cause uterus contractions.
Cinnamon has an active agent known as hydrocychalcone which regulates the insulin level in body. It is a great period regulator and eases period pain. It is has a warming effect on human body, according to Chinese medicine. It is also being used in the study of Cinnamon effects on women suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Take a cup of milk and add in it half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Use this mixture on daily basis a few days earlier than your target periods date
- Cinnamon can be used in form of tea, sprinkled over foods or chewed daily.
- Carom seeds (Ajwain)
Carom seeds, if mixed with jaggery, are very helpful in tempting periods, along with relieving the cramps caused by menstruation.
- Take a glass of water in a pan and boil one table spoon of carom seeds along with one table spoon of jaggery
- Use this mixture every morning, with empty stomach
- Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
It belongs to Parsley family and is said to have the similar effects on body.
- Coriander seeds
Because of the emmenagogue properties of coriander seeds, they are normally prescribed to women suffering from irregular periods to regulate their blood flow
- Take two cups of water and add one tablespoon of coriander seeds
- Boil until almost 1 cup of water evaporates.
- Strain the seeds out and drink the remaining concoction three times a day
- Fennel seeds (Saunf)
These are generally used in form of teato cure stomach disorders and periods.
- Boiled two tablespoons of fennel seeds in one glass of water to make a fragrant tea
- Let the solution overnight.
- Strain out the seeds and drink the tea in morning with an empty stomach.
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi) Tea
- Sesame seeds (Till)
These seeds have ‘ligans’ that bind excess hormones and balance them in the body, resulting in menstruation. They also have essential fatty acids responsible for hormones production of.
- Take a handful quantity of sesame seeds
- Roast them dry.
Grind the seeds that were roasted along with a teaspoon of jaggery powder to form a fine mixture
- Now use this powder once a day on empty stomach.
- You can also use a teaspoon of raw/ fried sesame seeds with honey twice a day.
Caution: Do not take this powder mixture once the periods start.
- Jaggery (Gur)
Ginger is a seasoning most widely used all over the world for inducing period. It not only relieves menstruation pain but due to its anti-oxidation properties, it is used for treating PMS symptoms e.g. nausea, and vomiting etc.
Herbal supplements are thought to be a helpful source in jump starting menstruation. It must however be taken into account that FDA does not normally approve the regulation of herb based supplements therefore you must take caution before adding it into your diet and seek consultation and advice from you doctor or physician. Also, you must stick to the dosage prescribed, otherwise it can show adverse results.
- Black Cohosh
This herb is used for promoting the regulation of menstrual cycle and contributes greatly in natural shedding of uterine lining
This herb in particular assists in the stimulation of uterus working and menstruation
- White Peony
It increases the flow of blood towards the pelvic region. It serves as an antidote to uterine stagnation / a cure for women who’ve not had periods.
- Dong Quai
This herb favors in assisting the blood flow to pelvic region resulting in regular periods, curing irregularities or absence of periods.
Medicines and Supplements:
Once you use any contraceptive pills, you get full control over the time you want your periods to occur, but it is necessary that you visit your gynecologist and get a prescribed medicine and look over the time and dosage for the proper medication.
- Take about two tablets of aspirin (not more than 2)
- Crush these tablets and add in half a cup of water
- Add sugar or honey
- Consume this mixture once a day, and not more!
This is supplement that is basically prescribed to the women who’ve not had their periods for a few months (almost 6 weeks). Two types of treatments are provided by the doctors:
- Provera (Progestin)
This medicine is a synthetic form of Progesterone that is advised by doctors to induce periods. The treatment with this drug is known as Medroxyprogesterone
This treatment is the second form of progesterone that is responsible for enhancing the production of endorphins, which once released, lowers the estrogen levels. It induces menstruation and also reduces levels of stress.
Hot water Bath
Sit in hot water tub for about twenty minutes to half an hour as it helps greatly in inducing periods.
Using a hot water bottle or a heating pad, compress the lower part of your body and place pressure on the pelvic region to heat up the body resulting in menses. Drinking hot water also helps greatly in inducing periods.
A workout of high intensity can stimulate the production of endorphins, which helps in relieving stress and aid in the lowering the estrogen levels hence inducing menses.
However, it is necessary that you do not overdo any exercise or stress your muscles because it may then delay your periods instead of preponing them.
Stress plays a very vital role in hindering and delaying the menses therefore it is necessary that you reduce tension and prevent such activities that cause stress. In order to reduce stress you can workout, meditate or do yoga.
Through Sexual intercourse
Engaging in coitus stimulates the PMS as it makes an upsurge in the flow of blood to the pelvic region. The vagina contracts and relaxes due to the sexual activity, triggering the uterine lining shedding and resulting in the menstruation.
Maintain weight and improve diet
As a women, it is necessary that you maintain your weight by taking healthy diet. You must try not to consume junk foods or oily fatty food items that cause obesity or other complications including PCOS. You should drink plenty of water and take in lots of fruits, green leafy vegetables and fluids in order to regulate your menstruation cycle. Eat food items rich in Vitamin C and carotene content e.g. papaya, oranges, peaches, spinach, eggs etc.