The Tongue is a very sensitive part of the body. It is the primary organ of taste and very important in the digestive system. All our taste buds reside on it so, a sore tongue can cause a lot of pain and discomfort but are harmless. These sores can appear in the form of small bumps, red lumps, and cuts. For more interesting facts and figures about tongue click here.
Tongue sores are also called ulcers or lesions that arise due to a cracked surface of the tongue or boils on it. It brings a burning and tingling sensation inside the mouth. This bubble or bud-like structures cause slight inflammation around the tongue.
They are not contagious but can reoccur sometimes one at a time and sometimes in clusters. The bad news is, a tongue ulcer can last from a week to ten days but the good news is they are easily treatable at home with several foods, remedies, and tongue numbing gels that contain Benzocaine.
Now, let’s take a look at what causes a tongue sore and how best to treat them.
What mainly causes a tongue sore?
Tongue/sores/ulcers/lesions can be caused due to a number of reasons that include the following:
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Nutrient deficiency of B Vitamin family, C, Iron, Zinc, Folic Acid, Calcium or Selenium.
- Weak Immune Function
- Excess of salty and spicy foods in daily diet
- Stomach or Intestinal disorder
- Smoking and consuming too much alcohol
- Chemical sensitivity to certain kinds of toothpaste and mouthwashes that contain fluoride or sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Food Allergies
- Unhygienic dental regime
- Bowel disorder
- Viral and bacterial infections
Tongue Sore Treatments
- These harmless sores can easily be treated at home so look no further than the kitchen. Stock your home with the following and apply these remedies for fast relief.
- Honey prevents the mouth from becoming too dry due to its antibacterial nature. Apply raw honey directly to the ulcer or mix a pinch of turmeric powder in it to speed up healing.
- Tongue ulcers are usually an outcome of stomach disorders. By consuming liquorice with water or honey you can remove toxins from the body that causes a sore tongue.
- Inflammatory properties of coconut oil reduce pain and swelling. Swish some coconut oil around in the mouth several times a day and then spit it in the drain to get rid of sores inside your mouth or on the tongue.
- Clarified Butter (Organic Ghee) is an ancient remedy for ulcers. Apply some desi ghee directly onto the sored area and let it sit for a few minutes before spitting it out. Butter will ease the burning sensation and irritation.
- Rinse your mouth with lukewarm and salt infused water to effectively treat the sore.
- Consume raw and ripe papaya fruit until the sores disappear.
- Gargle with coconut milk three-four times a day.
- The coolness of coriander and fenugreek help soothe ulcers. Boil a handful of coriander and fenugreek leaves/seeds in water and let it cool down. Drain the leaves and drink this water thrice a day.
- Consume a teaspoon of aloe vera gel or apply on the ulcer for fast results.
- Chew Basil leaves with some water every morning.
- Make a mixture of glycerin and amla powder and apply.
- Eat banana and yogurt for breakfast.
- Dab some drops of tea oil to apply directly or mix with plain water and swish with it for a minute or half. This will act as an antiseptic and natural mouthwash for your gum and mouth health.
- Form a paste/mouthwash of baking soda with water and rub on the ulcers or rinse your mouth with it.