For curing headaches and migraines by relieving stress and treating other related medical problems, Aromatherapy has played a vital role since ages.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is a practice performed by various herbalists, masseuses and other practitioners for boosting one’s psychological as well as physical health and curing various health conditions. It has been used since ages for the treatment of headaches, migraines, relieving stress and tension etc. by creating a soothing and calming atmosphere through use of various Essential Oil Blends.
Measures to be taken before conducting Aromatherapy:
- Take 1.5 ounces of distilled water or alcohol
- Fill up a 4.oz spray bottle with either of the two options stated above
- Leave 1 oz. of the bottle unfilled so that it can be shaken.
- Mix the Essential Oils to make a synergy and then 30-40 drops of it to the spray bottle.
- Once it is made, spray the mixture once and then let it stay untouched for a day or two.
Headache and Migraines
There are two types of headaches:
- Episodic headaches:
These occur frequently or every once in a while and can last from about half an hour to a few hours.
- Chronic headaches:
This is a type of headaches that may occur for many days but last ‘consistently’ for a few days or hours.
- Bay Essential Oil
- Chamomile Essential Oil
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Jasmine Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Melissa Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Rosemary Essential Oil
Here are few of the Essential Oil blending recipes you can try for a pleasing and relaxing aromatic experience:
- Lime EO- 20 drops
- Bergamot EO- 14 drops
- Ylang Ylang- 4 drops
- Rose- 2 drops
- Bergamot Essential Oil- 15 drops
- Spearmint Essential Oil- 15 drops
- Grapefruit Essential Oil- 8 drops
- Rosemary Essential Oil-20 drops
- Peppermint Essential Oil- 4 drops
- Spearmint Essential Oil (optional)- 2 drops
- Clary Sage Essential Oil- 15 drops
- Lavender Essential Oil- 6 drops
- Lemon Essential Oil- 9 drops
Method of Use for above recipes:
- Take any Carrier Oil (Jojoba, Almond Oil Coconut Oil etc.) of quantity equal to 1 oz.
- Add in it about 10 to 12 drops of Essential oils
- Take Special care if you are using Peppermint, Eucalyptus or Spearmint Essential Oils . Add no more than 6 to 8 drops of them.
- Secure the above mixture in a Cobalt blue glass bottle.
- Mix all the essential oils well by gently rolling the glass bottle between your hands.
- Put the bottle in a cool dry place and let the blend stay for some time.
- Pour a few drops of the mixture on your palm and gently massage it on to the temples, forehead and the back of your neck.
- Avoid contact with eyes.
- Take special care when using Essential oil blends since the air freshener will get in contact, by nature, with household items.
By Smelling Salts
- Fill a 1-oz Blue cobalt glass bottle with Dead Sea Salt.
- Fill the bottle to about 75% by adding coconut oil
- Now start adding the following Essential oils, depending upon need:
- For Nausea: Peppermint EO
- For Depression: Lemongrass EO/ Red Mandarin EO
- Anxiety: Sandalwood EO and Clary Sage EO
- Sinus congestion: Eucalyptus EO
- Place the cap on the the bottle uptight and avoid exposure to sunlight.
- Smell the salt whenever required or use it for aromatherapy by using as bath salts.
Also known as diffusers, are used in armoatherapy for creating a pleasant and stress-free environment.
Other Methods for Headache Relief:
- Through Meditation or yoga
- Through Oil massages
- Using Roll-Ons
- Using Medications (Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Naproxen etc.)
Safety and Precaution:
Although the essential oils are obtained naturally and natural products do not pose any adverse side effects, but the blends and synergies created by ‘not mixing the right proportions’ of Essential oils may cause some problems.
- Allergic reactions/ Irritation on skin: stinging, redness, rash, burning sensation
- Each each type and blend might not show same effect from these blends since everyone’s skin type is different therefore it is necessary and very important that you do a patch test first; i.e. apply the mixture of oils a small on your skin to see how it affects you.
- A few essential oils are recommended for use on or near <1 year old infants.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding moms must also take special care since Rosemary EO and Lavender EO cause serious health problem.
- Special measure to be observed by patients that have preexisting health complications especially asthma and heart issues.
- Only and only buy FDA approved Essential Oils, and from a well reputed marketplace to produce a better quality and pure final product that is not only safe for you, but also for your environment.