The coconut tree belongs to Arecaceae family. The usage of Coconuts, coconut oil and its products date back to centuries. It has been used for ages because its offers innumerable amount of benefits. In various cultures, the coconut tree is considered to be the “tree of life”. It has 3 essential parts; The other husk, the inner core fibre known as ‘coir, the ‘white meat’ known as ‘copra’.
Coconuts are widely known for their high nutritious value. They are enriched with fiber, minerals ( Calcium, selenium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, sodium) and Vitamins (B1, B3, B5, B6, C, E) contents.
Extraction: The coconut water is the liquid extracted from green fresh coconuts.
Taste: The coconut water is nutty-sweet in taste and serves with various benefits.
- Has very low amount of calories.
- Low sugar content
- Low sodium
- Greatly used for hydrating, especially by athletes.
- Rich in potassium content, i.e. equivalent to the amount of potassium present in almost 4 bananas.
Unlike the milk obtained from cow; i.e. high in lactose and fatty acids, the coconut milk is 100% lactose-free and can be consumed as a replacement to cow’s milk in case you are lactose intolerant.
Extraction and making:
- Take flesh ‘white’ portion of a coconut and grated it
- Soak this grated coconut in water
- Keep it in a cool dry place until a creamy froth floats on the colution
- Skim off the ‘cream’ from the top.
- Squeeze out the milk from the residue, using cheesecloth
- Repeat the above mentioned steps until a liquid with milk consistency is achieved.
The benefits we can get from consumption of coconut milk are almost the same as using raw coconut since the milk is extracted from the coconut’s ‘meat’.
- Rich in Medium-chain Saturated Fatty Acids
- Boosts metabolic activity
- Lower Cholesterol
- Prevent heart attack
The husk of coconut; known as ‘coir ‘ is the natural outer fibrous part of the coconut extracted from the husk. It is very durable.
Coconut coir is used for the making of following products:
- Floor mats
- As fuel
The essential oil extracted from coconut is greatly used for its wide range of benefits. The researchers and nutritionists debate on its potential.
Extraction of Coconut oil:
The Essential oil is extracted from the dried white part of the coconut; also known as the ‘copra’. Take copra and press it mechanically for extracting pure oil.
Constituents of Coconut oil: The oil constitutes of:
- Saturated fat
The oil is made up of about 80% of saturated fat containing medium-chain fatty acids; MCFA. It is easy to digest and is good for overall health.
- Lactic Acid
This makes up 40% of the saturated fat. It is great for immune system
- Caprylic Acid
Serves as an Anti-microbial and Anti-bacterial
- Capric Acid
Acts as Anti-microbial and immune strengthening agent.
Health- related Benefits:
- Anti- Inflammation
Curing Candida other yeast infections.
- Preventing Obesity
- Increasing metabolism
- Health of Heart
- Boosting memory and brain functionality
- Controlling Cholesterol in Blood
- Relieving Stress
- Dental health
- Strengthening Gums and teeth
- Prevention of Osteoporosis
- Nail growth
- Effect on Thyroid
- Effect on Kidney, Liver and Gallbladder
- Hormone balancing
- Controlling Seizures
- Curing Diarrhea
Eczema, Acne, sunburn
- Strengthening muscles
- For hair care
- Treating Cancer
- Treating Type-1 Diabetes
- As an Anit-Allergy
- Boosting immune system
- Treating Soar throat and flu
- Treating Baby diaper rash
- For pets
- Improve sleep and insomnia
Daily Life Use at Home:
- As Skin Cleanser
- In making of Deodorant
- As Sunscreen
- As a moisturizer
- Homemade candies
- Coconut chocolate bars
- In making of homemade Coconut Soap
- As a Lubricant
- For nail growth
- For Hair growth
- As an Aftershave
- Smoothies and shakes
- As a carrier oil
- Coconut dog treats
- Homemade vapo-rub
- Remove pregnancy birth and stretch marks
- Lice treatment
- Bug Repellent
- In Food as replacement of Vegetable oils
- In making a Homemade lotion
- As Lip and Body Balm
- Baby lotion for Diaper rash
- For Tanning
- For swimming to avoid chlorine
Side effects of Coconut, Coconut water or Coconut oil
Few of the probable side effects are:
- May be bad for heart
- Join pain