US President Donald Trump announced that US is cutting ties with World Health Organization (WHO). The President said in press conference “China has total control over World Health Organization. We have detailed to them the reforms that they must make and engaged with them directly but they have refused to act.”
Experts complain the administration is not considering safety seriously and are not taking steps to control the spread of the virus.
People are very angry at the President’s response on 100,000 deaths due to coronavirus. In addition, experts are blaming the Trump administration for these deaths and are saying that 90% of the deaths could have been stopped if safety steps were taken earlier.
President Trump is not taking the pandemic seriously, an example is, he suggested anti-malarial drug to cure and prevent coronavirus. Now President has seized WHO fund, in a time when WHO needs it the most. This would be a devastating step.
Earlier this month, President Trump froze WHO funding because of not doing enough to control COVID-19, and being lenient with China. He claimed that WHO bowed from China’s pressure and trusted their information about the spread of the pandemic. He also had issues with WHO’s critisim on travelling ban.
Donald Trump is also blaming China for the spread of this virus. “The world needs answers from China on the virus. We must have transparency. Why is it that China shut off infected people from Wuhan to all other parts of China?” he said. “It didn’t go to Beijing, it went nowhere else, but they allowed them to freely travel throughout the world, including Europe and the United States.”
On Friday, US made decision to cut off permanently. “Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will be today terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization,” Mr Trump told reporters.
According to experts, this will have devastating effect on public health worldwide. US is a major funder of WHO. US provided $400 million dollar to WHO last year.
WHO needs a lot of funds at present. WHO is researching for cure of SARS-2-cov and making a lot of efforts to find ways to fight the virus. The research and all other efforts WHO is making, needs a lot of funds. In addition, this is an emergency situation.
A Republican leader said, “(funds will)… to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs”. They assume WHO does not deserve these funds, and other health needs are urgent than cure of the virus.
“We’ll obviously have to work with other partners to ensure those funds can still flow,” Dr Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program, said. “This is going to be a major implication for delivering essential health services to some of the most vulnerable people in the world, and we trust developed donors will, if necessary, step in to fill that gap.”
US administration is facing severe criticism.