Flesh-Eating Bacteria kills a woman in Florida, Family raises awareness

Flesh-Eating Bacteria kills a woman in Florida, Family raises awareness

On Monday, a 77-years old Florida woman died of necrotizing fasciitis, which is most commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria. She got infected with this bacterium while she was walking on a Florida beach. According to her family, after two weeks of infection, she died after her leg was operated and cut down by the doctors.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in the United States, about 700 to 1200 cases of such nature are reported every year.

Originally from Pittsburgh, the deceased Carolyn “Lynn” Fleming was a retired bank teller from Charleroi and was living in the Ellenton, Florida.

As reported by time.com, Wade Fleming the son of Lynn Fleming says, “She always wanted to move to Florida, but my dad was semi-retired and he was a charter boat captain. After he died, she pulled the trigger.”

According to Wade, his mother was walking into the water on Coquina Beach. Suddenly she stumbled and fell into the water. He got a wound on her left shin which was a three-quarter-inch cut. There was not any severe symptom at that time but the time passes by her condition become severe. The wound continued to bleed and it swelled up badly. She called her family and told them about her situation. Then she got a prescription for an antibiotic and an injection of tetanus.

On 17 June, her friends found her unconscious when they came to her. She was lost her senses and laid on her bedroom floor. They called an ambulance and she was then hospitalized. Here the doctors diagnosed that she had an infection caused by necrotizing fasciitis also known as flesh-eating bacteria. The infection had got spread too much that the doctors had to cut her leg. During her surgeries, she got two strokes and a septic shock.

On Thursday, she died due to this infection in Florida while Wade was holding her hand.

Lynn Fleming family wants to educate people by sharing their story about this deadly infection caused by flesh-eating bacteria.

Fleming said, “We are not discouraging people from spending time at the beach.”We’ve met many people from Florida who said they’ve never heard of necrotizing fasciitis.”

“Maybe they should consider signs warning people about this at the beach,” Fleming said. “They warn people about jellyfish, and I’ve never heard of people dying from those.”

“Regardless, we hope people have fun at the beach but are careful if they have a cut,” he said. “We don’t ever want anyone else to have this kind of phone call with this kind of news about their family member.”

Flesh-Eating Bacteria can Cause Life-Threatening Contamination- How?

Necrotizing fasciitis is the scientific name of flesh-eating bacteria. This bacterium causes the infection in which the death of the soft tissues of the body occurs. Often surgeries are done in the infected area to remove the infected tissues.

According to the CDC, these bacteria causes the tissues present in the skin to die by causing the blood circulation to stop in the infected area. Streptococcus bacteria are the major cause of this infection but this can be caused by many other types of bacteria that can eat flesh.

According to Dr. Stephen Spann, these bacteria live in the brackish water. So, if your wound comes in contact with this water you most probably can get the infection.

Spann was a dean of the University of Houston College of Medicine. He said, “Your average healthy person is probably not a huge risk, people who have some sort of a chronic disease that suppresses their immune function, or maybe they are on immunosuppressive drugs like corticosteroids. Or they have liver disease or a disease called hemochromatosis.” This is a disease that is the result of an increase in the amount of iron in the blood.

Mah Jabeen

A Health and Fitness Journalist who also loves to cook and play video games.

Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!
1 Shares
Tweet
Pin
Share1