Carrots are one of the most widely used root vegetables because these can grow relatively easily. These can be found in various colors such as purple, white, yellow, orange and red.
The taproot of the carrot is commonly eaten, and its greens can be used as a salad or in other forms.
Carrots are highly nutritious and contain the following compounds.
Orange carrots contain a high amount of beta carotene which gives carrots their bright orange color. Beta-carotenes also function as “antioxidants”. In the body, beta- carotene is converted to vitamin A. These are important for the health of eyes and skin. The absorption of beta-carotene increases up to 6.5-fold if the carrots are cooked.
These compounds improved immune function and reduced risk of many illnesses, including heart disease, various degenerative ailments, and certain types of cancer
Alpha-carotene is an antioxidant. It is partly converted into vitamin A in body and helps in various functions of the body.
Lutein is mainly found in orange and yellow carrots. It is also an antioxidant. It is important for eye health.
Lycopene is a bright red antioxidant like purple and red carrots. It is also found in many other red vegetables and fruits. Lycopene is an important antioxidant which may decrease the risk of heart disease and cancer.
These are the bioactive compounds which are recently found. These compounds help in the protection against leukemia and other cancers.
Anthocyanins are powerful antioxidants. These are found in dark-colored carrots.
Carrots contain a high amount of folate which is important for many functions of the body.
Carrots also contain a high amount of fibers which helps in the proper functioning of the digestive system.
Carrots contain the following vitamins:
- Other Components
Other components present in 100mg of carrots are the following:
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 9 grams
Carbs: 6 grams
Fiber: 8 grams
Sugar: 7 grams
Health Benefits of Carrots
The health benefits associated with carrots are followings:
1- Regulation of Blood Cholesterol
Carrots control cholesterol level in blood. High cholesterol is dangerous and can cause heart diseases.
- Studies suggest that a healthy dose of carrots per week can lower the chances of heart-related problems.
- Researchers have described the therapeutic value of carrots. The consumption of seven ounces of raw carrots per day carrots can reduce cholesterol level by an average of 11 percent.
- The study of Swedish scientists described that the use of carrots can lower the chances of having a heart attack or other heart-related problems.
2- Eye Health
Carrots contain a high amount of carotene and are important for eye health.
- In research, Lindeboom found that the deficiency of vitamin A can cause difficulty seeing in dim light which can also lead to night blindness. Carrots are a rich source of carotene which is converted to vitamin A in the body.
- . Studies also suggest that the antioxidant present in carrots are good for improving eye health and prevention of other eye-related problems.
In this way, carrots are known to be beneficial for eye health.
3- Diabetes Control
Carrots are high in carotenoids. These carotenoids are helpful in the regulation of blood sugar level.
How carrots reduce blood sugar level?
- The presence of Carotenoids lower blood sugar level by regulating the amount of insulin and glucose.
- It also controls the amount of glucose being used and metabolized by the body.
4- Lower Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is linked to heart attacks, strokes, and other heart diseases. The use of carrots is effective in lowering blood pressure level in the following ways:
- Studies suggest that coumarin is found in carrots. It helps in reducing It also protects the heart.
- Carrots contain a high amount of potassium. Potassium is a vasodilator and dilates the blood vessels and arteries. In this way, it increases blood flow and circulation.
- Potassium also helps in boosting organ function throughout the body.
- It reduces the stress on the cardiovascular system.
- The use of carrots every day reduces the risk of stroke by 68 percent by improving the blood pressure.
5- Brain Health
Many studies believe that carrot has a positive effect on the brain. Carrots improve brain health in the following ways:
- According to a study, conducted by the researchers of The University of Illinois, Lutein is present in carrots. Lutein is a carotenoid and helps in the improvement of brain health.
6- Weight loss
Carrots can help in reducing weight. Carrot is a low-calorie food. It quickly fullness appetite and decrease calorie intake in meals.
Carrots can be used as a salad or in other forms. It can be effectively added to a weight loss diet.
7- Immunity Booster
Carrots can boost the immune system in the following ways.
- Carrots have many antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Therefore, these can easily boost the immune system.
- These are a rich source of vitamin C. Vitamin C present in carrots can stimulate the activity of white blood cells. White blood cells are the main part of the human immune system.
8- Improves Digestion
Carrots contain a high amount of dietary fiber, like most vegetables. Fibers are important elements for proper digestion.
- Fiber stimulates the production of secretion of gastric juices and improves digestion. It also stimulates peristaltic
- Fibers add bulk to stool and ease it move through the digestive system.
- It also reduces the severity of conditions like constipation.
- It protects the stomach and from colon from various serious illnesses like colorectal cancer.
9- Oral Health
Carrots improve oral health in the following ways:
- Mineral antioxidants are present in carrots which stimulate the gums and induces the production of excess saliva.
- Saliva is an alkaline substance. The alkalinity of saliva helps in combating the bacteria that often cause cavities and tooth decay.
10- Lowers the Risk of Cancer
The use of carrots can lower the risk of cancer in the following ways:
- Carrots are rich in carotenoids and it can help in the protection against several types of ulcers and cancers like colon, prostate and stomach cancers.
- Studies also suggest that the use of carrots can reduce the chances of lungs cancer as it contains a high number of antioxidants and vitamin C.
11- Improves Skin
Carrot improves skin in the following ways:
- Carrot oil can be used to treat dry skin. It makes skin softer, smoother, and firmer.
- It can health in the anti-aging process by improving the skin.
- The vitamin C present in it improves skin tone.