What are probiotics?
Probiotics are microorganisms that help in the improvement of health.
The gut already contains many microorganisms which maintain a healthy ecosystem.
The term probiotic means “for life”. This term was derived from the Greek language. The use of probiotic foods provides health benefits. The benefits of probiotics are being stated by “The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations” and the “World Health Organization”. these organizations state that the use of specific probiotic strains can be safe for human.
These organizations have given the definition of probiotics as following:
“Live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host.”
Why we should use probiotics?
In daily life, chronic stress can cause the imbalance of the body’s natural flora. This natural flora can also be affected by the overdosing of sugar contents and the use of processed foods.
The use of antibiotics also affects the body’s natural flora. During bacterial infections, antibiotics are used which eliminates the infectious bacteria but also disturbs the “good bacteria” of the gut. Even one course of antibiotics can disturb the amount of gut flora for up to 12 months. Disturbances in natural flora can lead to the following conditions:
- Hormonal imbalances
- weight gain
- Gastrointestinal tract problems
- Skin problems
- Mental health issues
- Autoimmune diseases
Uses of probiotics
The uses of probiotics are followings:
- The use of probiotic supplements can normalize gut flora.
- Studies suggest that probiotic supplements can improve health in men and women
- The use of probiotics can help in the prevention of many digestive issues.
- Studies suggest that the use of probiotics helps in the prevention of bowel diseases like Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Its use can also reduce the traveler’s diarrhea.
- The use of Probiotics is also helpful in the management of irritable bowel syndrome.
- It also helps in normalizing the body weight.
- Probiotics improve bloating caused by functional bowel disorders.
- Bifidobacterium lactis is a probiotic bacterium. It helps in the reduction of inflammation and promotes weight loss.
Probiotics for women
Studies suggest that probiotics can play an important role in the health management of women.
Probiotics help in the maintenance of healthy microbiome which plays major roles in the improvement of skin, mental health, and many other problems. Its use is also important for vaginal health. It also improves digestive problems which are more common in women than in men.
Following are the probiotics which can be used by women:
Kristin Gustashaw says that;
“Bifidobacterium is a type of probiotic well known for its antibacterial abilities and vaginal health help,”
- The use of this bacteria boosts the immune system.
- It also improves the absorption of various metals like zinc, magnesium, calcium, and iron.
- It uses can improve mood.
- It can also help to fight depression.
Align is an example of a supplement that contains Bifidobacterium and can be used to enhance immunity.
For menstrual cramps
Ortho Biotic is the probiotic which can be used to ease menstrual cramps. According to Nour Zibdeh, ortho biotic doesn’t contain any bacteria that produce histamine. Histamine is a substance which is linked to inflammation. Intolerance of histamine is very common in women because of the presence of estrogen. The higher levels of estrogen cause more histamine production in the body.
The Symptoms associated with histamine intolerance are followings:
- Itchy skin
- Menstrual cramps
- Stomach pain
Dr. Zibdeh recommends the use of ortho biotic if these symptoms appear at ovulation or right before menstruation. Ortho Biotic is the mixture of strains which are either neutral or able to metabolize excess histamine.
The mega food’s Megaflora for baby and Me is beneficial probiotic during pregnancy.
Beth Warren says that this probiotic contains plant-based compounds like ginger and it can be useful for pregnant women in the following ways:
· Its use can ease stomach and improves digestive functions in pregnant women.
- It also contains prebiotics which helps in the growth of healthy bacteria. Its use is beneficial for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Its formulation contains L. rhamnosusHN001 which helps in the development of the child’s immune system during the last trimester of pregnancy.
The use of Klaire lab’s Target B2 probiotic can be useful for breastfeeding women. This probiotic contains L. fermentum. Its use can be beneficial in the following ways:
- Studies suggest that its use can reduce the symptoms of “mastitis”. Mastitis is an inflammation of breast tissues which can result in redness, warmth and breast pain. In most cases, mastitis affects breastfeeding women which are called as lactation mastitis.
Studies also suggest that its use is more effective than the use of antibiotics. Breastfeeding women cannot have long term antibiotic therapies because antibiotics can affect the child. In this way, this probiotic is effective for the breastfeeding women suffering from lactation mastitis.
It can also improve the breast infections caused by blocked milk ducts.
For Vaginal Health
Following probiotics can be used to improve vaginal health
Jarrow Formulas’ Fem dophilus
Jarrow Formulas’ Fem dophilus is the probiotic which can help in gynecological conditions. It can improve vaginal health in the following ways:
- This antibiotic can protect against urinary tract infections, bacterial vaginosis, and candidiasis. These infections causing bacteria are part of the natural flora of the body. These bacteria are opportunistic and cause infections in people having low immunity. The use of this probiotic can help in overcoming such as vaginal infections. L.rhamnosusGR-1 and L. reuteri RC-14 are the probiotic strains that help in the improvement of women’s urogenital condition.
- The use of these probiotics eliminates unhealthy bacteria from the body.
- Its use also reduces the chances of bladder infections in women.
Metagenics ultra flora women’s
Crystal Karges says that Metagenics are high-quality supplements that are formulated scientifically. Its use can improve women’s health in the following ways:
- The use of this probiotic can help in maintaining healthy vaginal microflora.
- It also improves urogenital health
- During pregnancy, the use of this probiotic can cause a reduction in the chances of premature birth
This probiotic contains L. Rhamnosus strain. Its use can improve vaginal health in the following ways:
It helps in the prevention and treatment of vaginal yeast and bacterial infections.
It also improves the healthy vaginal flora of the body.