Why Calcium Is Good for the Body?

Why Calcium Is Good for the Body?

Calcium is one of the essentially required nutrients for the body. Whether you are a milk lover or hater, the regular milk intake in growing ages has given you these strong bones. There are many people which confuse calcium with vitamin D, describing it as the bone health supplement. In reality, calcium and vitamin D are two different nutrients but both work for one same reason, which is to ensure stronger bones and teeth.

If you don’t like milk, the good news is that milk is not the only way to take calcium. There are several other calcium rich foods too. As far as the requirement is concerned, calcium is essentially required for the muscles, hormones, teeth and bone health. The new research suggests that calcium is also helpful for blood pressure, Pms and obesity.

Calcium is the most common mineral required by the body. It is used to make bones and perform the body functions i.e. muscular contractions and blood clotting with ease. The calcium which we intake from different foods stores inside the bones including teeth. The actual hard texture of the bone is due to the continuous flux that they face while absorbing calcium.

In growth years, the bone density is likely to increase at a higher rate. It slows down with the time and eventually stops by the age of 30 when aging starts. When bones are no more in growth mode, the bones tend to become weak, making the body vulnerable to adopt any bone related disease.

In growth years, if the calcium levels are not enough, the body will take out calcium from the bones and start utilizing it. This is even more damaging. It suggests that children should be given milk in their growing age so that their bones and body can get maximum calcium supply. For children over 9 years of age, the recommended dose is 1000 to 1300 mg calcium per day.

Approximately 99% of the calcium is deposited in the bones and teeth. The rest 1% may sound like a minor quantity but actually, it has a significant role to play. This tiny amount of calcium is responsible for making the blood pressure smooth. It reduces the symptoms of the pre-menstrual syndrome which is a very uncomfortable situation for most of the women. It also maintains a healthy body weight which reduces the risk to catch certain metabolic and digestive diseases.

Sometimes the food is just to enough to fulfill the body requirements of calcium. One has to take help from outer sources such as dietary supplements. According To the nutritionists, one cup of skimmed milk has 302 mg of calcium, the 8 ounces of yogurt gas only 250-400 mg calcium. Even the 1.5-ounce cheddar cheese has 306 mg calcium.

If someone doesn’t like milk, these can be the alternative options. Some other calcium rich foods are green leafy vegetables, soy products, and fortified cereals that are extremely rich in calcium sources.

When the body requirements of calcium are not fulfilled they result to increased chance of bone-related diseases such as osteoporosis. To reduce this risk, it is ideal to use 1000-1300 mg calcium either in one take or two takes of 500-600 mg each.

Calcium supplements is another helpful product which is common these days. The two most common types of calcium supplements are as follows.

There is no as such difference. It just that carbonate supplements provides a higher amount of calcium to the user. People which are severely deficient are given carbonates and slightly imbalanced calcium levels are treatable with citrate supplements too.  These supplements can sometimes cause nausea and vomiting.  For this reason, self-administration of any dietary supplements is not a very healthy idea.

It really doesn’t matter that how you get calcium; the important thing is to take it so that the body doesn’t suffer. Not just for bones, the other body functions are also influenced by it. So, one should always make sure to maintain a nominal calcium intake.

 

Avatar

The author is a Medical Microbiologist and healthcare writer. She is a post-graduate of Medical Microbiology and Immunology. She covers all content on health and wellness including weight loss, nutrition, and general health. Twitter @Areeba94789300

Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin
Share