If you are struggling to lose weight, one popular name that you will hear is “keto diet” or “ketogenic diet”. It is one of the most discussed diet plans for this year 2018 that helps you to shed extra weight.
It is proven by research that following a low carb and high-fat diet promotes weight loss. It even improves certain health conditions particularly type-2 diabetes and cognitive disorders. (Click here to read a research on it)
In this article, you will know about the keto diet menu and how it promotes weight loss.
Basics about the keto diet
Keto diet is a very low carb diet that has high fat intake and a moderate protein portion. When you are following a keto diet, typically the carbs are reduced to 50 grams or less per day. In keto diet, the person reduces carbohydrate intake and 75% of the diet is fat. Proteins account for 20% of daily food intake.
This reduction of carbs makes the body to use fat to produce energy. Normally the body uses glucose for this energy production but using fats for energy is called ketosis.
During the process of ketosis, the body uses ketones that are molecules made in the liver in absence of glucose. It is an alternate fuel source to glucose.
Usually, people talk about the weight gain linked with fat. The high-calorie content in fat does cause an increase in your weight. But the research tells that keto diet recipes are better acting on weight loss than most of the low-fat diet plans. (Click here to read more about it)
To your surprise, keto foods are fulfilling and help to achieve satisfaction. It promotes the weight loss even more.
Meal plan in keto diet
Following keto diet looks easy but it is difficult than it looks. For anyone doing a keto diet, the prime focus should be to reduce carbs and increase fat while taking moderate protein content. The most important thing is to restrict carbs that will help your body to be in ketosis.
There are certain exceptions in the keto diet. Some people achieve ketosis only by reducing your food intake i.e. 20 grams or fewer carbs per day. Whereas other may lose weight with high carbohydrate and low fat intake.
Generally, the low carbohydrate makes it easier to be in ketosis. That is the reason keto friendly foods should be a part of your life when you are struggling to lose weight.
What are keto friendly foods?
If you are not sure on what is a keto friendly food, here is a list of a few food items that you may take in keto diet.
- Eggs (only organic, whole eggs)
- Poultry (turkey, chicken)
- Fish (fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel and herring)
- Meat (beef, pork, bison, venison, and others)
- Dairy (full-fat dairy such as butter, yogurt, and cream)
- Cheese (full-fat cheese such as cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese, cream cheese, and brie)
- Seeds (all nuts and seeds such as macadamia, almonds, flaxseeds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts)
- Avocados (whole avocados, avocado oil)
- Nut butter (organic peanut butter, almond butter)
- Oil (coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, sesame oil, butter)
- Condiments (salt, pepper, lemon juice, herbs, vinegar, spices)
- Vegetables (only non-starchy vegetables i.e. broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms etc)
Which foods are not keto foods?
Do not consume any carbohydrate-rich food. Taking it only once may kick your body out of ketosis. Following is the list of foods that you shouldn’t eat in a keto diet.
- All types of bread excluding almond or coconut flour bread
- Every type of baked foods
- Sweets and candies
- All sugary food
- Sweetened beverages and soda
- Sauces with high carbs such as BBQ sauce
- Salad dressings
- Alcohol i.e. beer and sugary alcoholic drinks
Despite being on a low carb diet, you can take low sugar fruits such as berries in a limited quantity. Make sure that it doesn’t exceed your macronutrient intake for the day.
Switch to healthy and fresh foods and avoid processed foods. Following in a list that every keto diet follower should completely avoid.
- Unhealthy fats: Margarine and vegetable oils
- Processed foods: Fast food and packaged foods
- Diet foods: Foods with an added aroma, color, preservatives and sweeteners
Is there any Keto-friendly beverage?
You aren’t allowed to consume sugar in ketosis. It includes all beverages that have sugar in them such as soda, coffee, tea, and others.
Just like high carb food, one should also avoid high carb drinks in order to be in ketosis. These sugary beverages are linked to many health conditions. It is better to avoid them anyways whether or not you are following a keto diet or not.
During the keto diet, there are many options in drinks that you can take without taking tension. All of such drinks should be sugar-free.
Some of the keto-friendly beverages are
- Sparkling water
- Unsweetened coffee and tea
- Green tea (unsweetened)
If you find plain water too boring for your taste buds, try and experiment with flavors in your water. You may create any keto-friendly flavor combinations using water as a base. For example, add fresh mint leaves and lemon peel or zest in your water bottle. It will add a refreshing touch to plain water.
A Model Keto Menu (one week)
How to design a keto diet menu? This is the question that almost everyone who reads about keto diet thinks at least for once. On the Internet, you may not find any standard keto menu that suits everyone. The reason is that everyone has different body requirements that mean weight loss is different for everyone. Usually, any diet plan that has less than 50 grams of total carbs per day suits everyone.
Following a diet plan is a standard one-week plan that can be changed as per personal choices and body requirements.
Breakfast: Two eggs (fried using pastured butter) you may add sauteed green veggies with it (use coconut oil for it)
Lunch: a bun-less burger/roll or wrap using cheese, mushroom, chicken, and veggies. You may use green leaves for the wrap
Dinner: meat chops with a side of green beans sautéed (use coconut oil for it)
- Breakfast: one or two egg omelet with mushroom/cheese filling (made in pasteurized butter)
- Lunch: chicken or tuna salad along with celery and tomatoes and greens
- Dinner: steam roasted chicken, sour cream sauce and sauteed veggies in coconut oil
- Breakfast: Cheese and egg stuffed bell pepper
- Lunch: chicken/veggie salad with hard-boiled eggs and blue cheese in it
- Dinner: Grilled salmon or any fish with a side of spinach sauteed in coconut oil
- Breakfast: Low-fat yogurt, a few nuts, berries or Keto granola as a topping
- Lunch: fried chicken with keto cauliflower rice, herbs to season
- Dinner: Bison steak with cheesy sauce and a side of sautéed broccoli
- Breakfast: Baked eggs with avocados
- Lunch: Caesar salad using chicken
- Dinner: Mutton or pork chops with a side of vegetables
- Breakfast: toast made with cauliflower or almond flour bread with cheese and avocado on the side
- Lunch: Bunless burgers stuffed with grilled/baked salmon topped with pesto
- Dinner: Meatballs with zucchini noodles topped with parmesan cheese sauce
- Breakfast: chia pudding in coconut or soy milk, topped with nuts
- Lunch: Salad with greens, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, cheese, and any meat
- Dinner: Coconut chicken curry with keto cauliflower rice
This is a general diet plan and anyone can change it as per his preferences. Although all keto diets use mainly animal proteins if you are a vegetarian, there are plant sources for protein too.
For a moderate keto diet, add berries to your breakfast preferably. You may also use a small serving of a starchy vegetable in dinner. It will increase your carb intake. Keeping in mind your weight loss target, customize your plan and create your own keto diet menu.